Thursday 11 October 2012

The Doiley Revival!

I have decided that I am spearheading the doiley revival!
Doileys have had some bad press over the last few years. Minimalism has seen them eliminated from stylish homes. Well, I love them...in moderation. We don't have to go back to the cluttered doiley overload of the 80s.

What has this got to do with knitting and fashion?, you might say. Well, I also love crochet, and have a huge admiration for needlecrafts in general . One of my most prized books is the 1885 "Young Ladies' Journal Complete Guide to the Work-Table" (1885; London). It shows you how to do all kinds of almost obsolete arts, such as netting, Guipure lace making, Berlin work and loads of others. I love to browse antique stores that deal with old linen and lace. I admire the time and skill women put into their "fancy work".


Instructions for making Guipure lace.
 A really interesting book to read for those interested in women's handcrafts in Australia over the last 200 years is "The Gentle Arts: 200 Years of Australian Women's Domestic and Decorative Arts," by Jennifer Isaacs. ( 1987, Willoughby; Lansdowne Press). It's a lavishly illustrated work, in which the author looks at the various categories of "plain and fancy work". Some impressive examples of Australian women's work are pictured.

So, I have discovered that a restrained use of well chosen doileys blends well with my ethnic inspired decor.
Point Lace, and bobbin lace making
.

No comments:

Post a Comment